Parenting is a whole another level of training for me. I was 25 when I started being a step mom to a teenager and a 9 year old. It was something I had to mentally prepare for. The kids and I bonded immediately because I was able to to put them first and be very supportive.
Investing my time in them has really made all the difference. It is not always easy, I used to get extremely exhausted before. Now, I just count it as part of my day. As they grow up, we noticed that there is more work that needs to be done on their emotional development and motivation to start getting things done on their own. We can only really point them in the right direction. I have learned a lot since I got married and became a parent.
- Build your kids confidence.
- Teach them independence.
- Include them in the family’s activities and goals. Listen to their suggestion. Create a vision board.
- Post motivational frames in your house.
- Be supportive all the time.If the ideas seems unrealistic then suggest something that they can do better. Have boundaries though.
- Acknowledge when your kids did something great. Give them a hug. Reward them for their current achievements.
- Work ethics. Show them what hard work is. Always tell them that you will not get anything done with sitting and doing nothing all day.