I am an Afghanistan War veteran who has been out of the military for 10 years. Now that I have a better understanding of how this works and who it covers, I decided to apply for it. If you can establish that you have an ongoing service related disability, you may have a claim. Here is how I filed a VA claim:

1. Contact the Veteran Services Office (VSO) Near you. You can find them by going to your favorite search engine and typing “yourstate+vso+veteran”. Each state has a VSO dedicated to helping Veterans file, support, and track claims.
2. Get your DD214 (notarized). You can get this from “archives.gov/veterans/”. Or if you have one just make sure you get it notarized.
3. Get your military medical records. This is optional because the VA can get them. I thought this was a show stopper because I could not get mine. But don’t worry about it. It is better if you have them.
4. Fill out the VA Form 21-526EZ, Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits
5. Fill out the VA Form 21-686c, Declaration of Status of Dependents
6. Fill out the VA Form 21-0781, Statement of Claim for Service Connection PTSD. This is only applicable if you have PTSD.

The VSO used what I filled out to file my claim electronically.


Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather
Tags : benefits of veteransclaiming vaclaiming veteran benefitsclaming VA benefitseligibility in claiming VAeligibility in Veteran affairsVA benefitsVA claimsVA eligibilityveteran affairsveteran affairs servicesveteran benefitsVeteran services officevets claimsVSO
Yuri Sincero

The author Yuri Sincero

Hello my valued readers!! :-) This is Yuri. Here is my thought! Thanks a lot for inspiring me to keep writing. My articles here in Efilipinowomen are about the culture, K-1 visa, current events, dating, marriages and traditions of the Philippines. You can add your comments, suggestions and feedback . I’m open for improvement :-) . You can also email me or send me a message in facebook. See you!!!….

and Facebook.