“Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and blows up the bonfire.”
– Francois de la Rouchefoucauld
I was in the US and traveling abroad while Yuri was in the Philippines. We had a long distance relationship for a total of 2 years before we were eventually willing to violate international laws to be together. We did not violate any international laws.. (I think).
We are together now but we could not have done it without first having a successful long distance relationship! Now we want to help by sharing what we learned. There are a lot of ingredients that go into a successful long distance relationship, but we have boiled it down to 5 things.
LOVE is not on this list. Love is just a word without actions
Love is not enough. It is not one of the keys.
- Constant communication. Include them into your life.
- Learning to trust each other.
- Knowing yourself. To not be influenced about opinion.
- Setting pride aside. Put your partner first.
- Understanding your partner. seeing their perspective and respecting your partner’s opinion.
Do your best to be together.